How to Cancel your QuickBooks Online Company (United States)
We're sorry to see you want to cancel your QuickBooks Online company! This article will help you cancel your QuickBooks Online subscription or trial version, please make sure you read through all of the information here to ensure you have the best experience.
- Outside of the United States looking to cancel? Please see Cancel your QuickBooks Online subscription (Non-US).
- Are you a QuickBooks Desktop customer looking to cancel? Please go to the Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPs).
- Can't sign-in to to your QuickBooks Online account? Please reset your password before proceeding to cancel below.
Before you are ready to cancel your company, please be aware of the following:
- You must be signed into your QuickBooks company as the Master Administrator or Company Administrator.
- If you purchased your subscription from your accountant, contact your accountant to cancel as the steps are different than what is discussed in this article.
- If you purchased your subscription from a mobile app store (such as iTunes/Apple Apps or Google Play), please see Unsubscribe or cancel QuickBooks Online subscription purchased through an app store (iOS or Android)
- If you have a Payroll Subscription, you must complete or clear all e-payments and direct deposits before you can cancel.
- If your account has been suspended, you must re-subscribe before you can cancel.
- Print all QuickBooks Online forms or reports that you might need or have access to in the future.
- If you are converting to QuickBooks Desktop, export your data to QuickBooks Desktop. For information on exporting your data see Exporting from Online to Desktop or Visual Guide to Export. If you are using QuickBooks Online on a Mac, you cannot export to desktop yourself, you will need to Contact Us for assistance.
Did you know you can downgrade to a cheaper subscription or upgrade if you need more features?
- Upgrade my QuickBooks Online subscription
- Downgrade Your QuickBooks Online Subscription - United States Only
Are you struggling to learn the in's and out's of QuickBooks Online?
Check our our updated YouTube tutorials!
Cancel your paid QuickBooks Online subscription or Trial
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online. If you cannot sign-in or login to your account, please reset your password before proceeding below.
- Select the Gear icon, then Account and Settings.
- Select Billing & Subscription. If you do not see Billing & Subscription, you may be using QuickBooks Online Accountant (QBOA). In that case, reach out to your Accountant for steps to cancel or if you are the Accountant, contact us for help.
- In the QuickBooks section, select Cancel (paid subscription) or Cancel Trial (if you are using a trial).
- Click Continue to Cancel, then click Continue to Cancel again.
- Finally, answer the exit survey questions (to help us make QuickBooks better), then scroll down and select Continue to Cancel to cancel your subscription.
That's it! We'll send you (or the administrator for your account) an email that confirms that you canceled your QuickBooks Online subscription plan.
What happens to my QuickBooks Online data after I cancel?
You have read-only access to your QuickBooks Online data for one year after you cancel your subscription. There are a few things that change the length of time that your data is available to you:
- If you cancel during a free trial or if your trial expires, your data is available for 90 days.
- If your credit card is declined, you have 14 days to update your billing information. During this time you have full access to QuickBooks Online. After that, your account is suspended and you will have to re-subscribe to access your data.
We recommend you export or print your data before you cancel.
- If you were subscribed to QuickBooks Online, you can export data to Excel or to a desktop version of QuickBooks up to a year after you cancel.
- If your were using a trial version, you must export within 90 days after you cancel.
Was this helpful?