Cancel your QuickBooks Online subscription (Non-US)
This article is intended for use outside of the United States, if you are in the US, please see Cancel or Delete a QuickBooks Online Subscription
You can cancel anytime in a few easy steps, just make sure you have Master or Company Administrator access.
Before you cancel, we recommend that you print all QuickBooks Online forms or reports that you might need.
- Only a Master or Company Administrator can cancel your account and this must be done by logging into QuickBooks Online.
- If you contact QuickBooks Online support, you'll be redirected back to your account to cancel yourself.
- QuickBooks Online must be cancelled using a web browser. You won't be able to cancel your account from a mobile device.
- Your QuickBooks Online account will be cancelled at the end of your current paid subscription period. This means you may still be able to use QuickBooks Online for a period of time after cancellation. For example, if you get billed on the 15th of each month and you cancel your subscription on the 1st, your account will remain active until the 15th of that month.
- If you are using QuickBooks Online with bundled payroll in Canada, the steps below will also cancel your payroll subscription. To cancel your payroll subscription only, see Cancel your QuickBooks Online Payroll subscription.
Steps to cancel QuickBooks Online
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online from a web browser.
When signing in, note the following:
- If you have companies under more than one user ID, be sure to use the user ID for the company you need to cancel.
- If you have more than one company under the same user ID, be sure to select the correct company on the Company Selection screen after signing in.
- If two subscriptions have been created for the same company by mistake, it may be difficult to tell which subscription needs to be canceled when signing in. Sign in to both subscriptions and view the Chart of Accounts or a Transaction List report for each. Once you know which subscription contains the lists/transactions you need to keep, sign in to the other subscription to cancel it.
- When signing in, note the following:
- Select the Gear icon at the top, then Account and Settings.
- If you don't see Account and Settings, select Your Account and then select Cancel Your Subscription from the Account Activities section. Then, skip to step 5.
- Select the Billing & Subscription tab on the left.
- Select Cancel to the right of the Subscription status line.
- Complete the exit survey and select Continue. We'd like to hear why you're canceling your subscription so we can work to improve the program and its features.
- Once complete, you'll receive a confirmation that Your QuickBooks Online Subscription has been canceled and the Master Admin will receive a confirmation email.
If you don't see the Billing & Subscription tab, that means that either you are not signed in as the Master Administrator or the Company Administrator on the account OR you purchased your QBO subscription from your Accountant.
Why don't I see the Billing and Subscription tab?
- If you are not signed in as the Master Administrator or Company Administrator, please sign out and then sign back in with your Master Administrator or Company Administrator credentials.
- If you are signed in as the Master Administrator or Company Administrator, please contact your Accountant and work with them to cancel your subscription.
Don't worry, you have cancelled your QuickBooks Online account correctly. Since your cancellation request is not fully processed until the end of your current paid subscription period, your Subscription status will show as Pending Cancel from the time you cancel your account until the end of your current paid subscription period. No further action is required from you.
Why does my subscription status show Pending Cancel after I cancelled my account?
For example, if you've always been billed on the 15th of the month, and you cancel your account in QuickBooks Online on the 1st, you're Subscription status will show Pending Cancel until the 15th.
What happens to my data after cancellation?
The length of time QuickBooks Online stores your data depends on the status of your account:
- If you cancel a QuickBooks Online subscription you've been paying for, your data will be available in read-only access for 1 year from the cancellation date.
- If you cancel QuickBooks Online during the trial period or if your trial expires, your data will be available in read-only access for 30 days.
- If your credit card is declined at the time of billing, you'll have 14 days to update the billing information on your account. During this time, your account will remain active. After 14 days, your account will be suspended and your data will be available in read-only access for 1 year.
As long as you're within the read-only access period of your cancelled account, you'll still be able to export your data.
Note: If you resubscribe within 12 months of cancelling a paid QuickBooks Online subscription, you'll be able to access your earlier data. After 12 months, you can still resubscribe with the same credentials, but your data will no longer be available.
Was this helpful?